Self Care - Not always done by yourself

Being a mom, wife, doula, etc. often has me taking care of the needs of others leaving little time for myself.  Finding time for myself sometime seems impossible and selfish. 

While reading a book for work, the author talked about how many of the things we think are impossible, turn out to be possible after all.  Think of all the things we have done which we thought would never happen.  Simple things like riding a bike, learning to read, even finishing that 12 minute mile test in gym class ... all were achieved in time.
Other things like getting through a really rough parenting day, starting a new career, moving to a completely new country; all impossible sounding, but not really impossible.
The point the author was trying to make is that if you want something done, you need to realize you are worth it, gather a team of those who will support you, decide what you want, and go for it.

So this week, I decided to look at the things that were causing me stress, self doubt, or worry and make steps towards better care for myself.

First Step ...  The Sock Drawer
I know, I know... sound insignificant, right?  But for me, the constant struggle through years of socks, nursing bras, and more each morning to find something that matched was causing aggravation and stress.

So I decided it was worth my morning time when the kids were gone to school, to tackle this big headache.
To add to the self care, I popped in one of my favorite Christmas flicks The Holiday to watch while I sorted.

What a relief it is now to open my drawers and effortlessly find what I need and be on my way.  Self Care #1 for the win!

Second Step ... Shopping
While some in my family have no problem going to the store and trying on fashions, it has always been, for various reasons, a challenge for myself.  This results in outfits half a decade old, if not older.  I have an event upcoming that I knew I needed something I would feel confident in wearing.
So, to achieve the impossible, I called in my team of supporters, and set a date to find what I needed.
Bonus, was spending an affirming morning with a friend, giving me the confidence to be my maternal self, without looking like my mom :-) (Love you, Mom!)


Third Step ... Physical and Mental Health
I know that I haven't been as active as I wanted to be.  Add to that a stressful week of being on call, and I needed a break.  Cue the after dinner walk by myself.  Thank you Indiana for sending a December evening in the 50s.  I got a chance to move my body and let me mind settle a bit before getting back to the demands of home.  Thanks also to a loving husband to realized his wife hadn't left the house all day.

Self care or any goal doesn't need to be done all by yourself.  Realize you are worth it, gather your team, and try for the impossible.  You might find it is possible after all.

P.S. You know you have a great support team when all you have to do is mention you want a brownie, and the four loves of your life make a batch that night after dinner. Love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the chocolate

Let's all be well

Finding the Happy Place