Day 1 - Setting the ground rules


Day 1 - Setting the ground rules
Today I entered into the brave new world of summer break.  Thanks to childcare, full time jobs, summer camps, etc. I have up to this point been spared the challenge of keeping children occupied for 10 straight weeks. 
I have been looking forward to the task though.  Many plans have been made, adventures planned, and hopes shared about the upcoming season of freedom from the classroom.  I also have goals, including finishing some schooling myself, getting to know my children better, and hoping that my constant presence will be beneficial in some way.
The morning was off to an early start with the youngest awake before the earliest of the alarm clocks.  The older two were not far behind, their internal clocks still on the early school schedule.  All eventually clambered downstairs.  The older kids were told that they were responsible for their own breakfasts; thus freeing Dad up from his role of being a short order cook.

  Lesson One: How to feed yourself
 PB&J (or nutella) sandwiches are an easy favorite the kids can fix themselves, but is on even footing with the every ready Pop Tart for breakfast. Cereal is in third place because of the extra step of pouring the milk without spilling. As long as they eat it, I don't mind which they choose.

 Lesson Two: If you want adventures, you have to help
There are definitely adventures planned for the kids this summer, but there had to be some groundwork done first.  Chore lists were provided each child with expectations clearly explained.  TV and outings will be had if dishes are done, clothing in the right places, teeth clean, etc.  The kids thrive with structure, so this morning's reminding were welcomed.  Ask me again in two weeks if they are still thrilled to check mark each item they finished on their lists.
Having two extra pairs of hands will be helpful in tackling those chores I had been avoiding due to lack of time.  The promise of a trip through the car wash today resulted in a clean interior courtesy of my enthusiastic 7 year old.  Let's see if they spice cabinet and the Tupperware drawers hold the same appeal.
 Lesson Three: Patience is more than a game
 I have taken to keeping a deck of cards in my purse at the suggestion of a friend.  It makes waiting rooms and slow waiters at restaurants more bearable.  I taught my eldest Solitaire today.  The desire for completion immediately is a topic we will be discussing often this summer, I feel.  Hopefully I can demonstrate the same kind of patience I am trying to convey.

Lesson Four: Everything has purpose
While much was done during the day, the ability to relax and play in the evening makes it all worth it.  An impromptu playdate was possible because all other tasks were done.
Will every day be filled with lessons for my kids? Probably not.  Will I learn some things along the way? Most definitely.  I know I will be different come August.  I welcome the change and the mystery.  Just like planting seeds you know will be flowers, but have no idea of the color, type, or size.  Just that it will be a blessing when you see it bloom.
Here's to tomorrow. Planting seeds and taking steps on the Journey Through Summer.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the chocolate

Let's all be well

Finding the Happy Place