Weekend Whiplash

It never seems to fail that Mondays are hard. Except when your Monday is Tuesday due to a holiday, or an extra day off work, snow storms, etc. I have decided that it isn't Mondays themselves that is the issue, it is instead Weekend Whiplash.

Weekend Whiplash:  the sudden change of inertia in daily activities causing painful adjustments to new pace of activities

I used to love playing on the swings.  Swinging back and forth trying to touch the sky.  Loved it! Now I am not used to it anymore.  When I do swing the sensation of falling freaks me out and makes my stomach nauseous.  The same is for Weekend Whiplash.  The change makes you feel off and unsettled and it is reflected in your behavior.  It doesn't matter if you have the busiest weekend or the slowest and most relaxing; changing back to a different routine always messes you up.  And if you are a 3 year old or sensitive 7 year old? Forget about it, you are done even before the end of breakfast.

Our Monday was full of Weekend Whiplash.  Chasing a toddler across the parking lot because he wants to be anywhere except where you want him to be.  Tears of frustration because a task is challenging the first few times you attempt it.  I purposely have not been planning our big adventures for this every reason.  It would be begging for tantrum filled disasters.  Instead, I plan naps.

I used to hate naps as a kid.  Now, I depend on them to get through my 3 shift kind of days.  I know that my kids do better with naps, so is a key tool in my summer survival arsenal. 

And it paid off.  The toddler got to do water play at school after naps.  The seven year old was finally able to keep it together for an entire karate class.  The eldest who doesn't nap anymore (he thinks) read a good book and expanded his literacy skills.  Mommy was able to last another 8 hours in the day.

We did enjoy some of the day, visiting a playground and taking a bike ride.  Brother even taught his sister some karate bow staff skills.  Not bad for a Monday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the chocolate

Let's all be well

What day is it?