Thoughts of summer

Thoughts from the back seat
Driving from one adventure to another lends itself to random questions and conversations.  The most intriguing question of the week was "where do our eyelids go when our eyes are open?"  A comparison to a garage door and self exploration led to a satisfactory answer. 
I often leave the radio off so I can catch these bits of conversation.  Sometimes it is more entertaining than any radio show.

Heart Exercises
Swimming lessons kicked off this week.  The joyous cry of "Mommy, I can swim!" does a momma's heart good.  But on the other side, hearing your child beat themselves up for not being perfect in a technique can make your heart cry in sorrow.  It is a struggle we deal with regularly.  Creating small attainable goals like making a new friend in class and going just a bit farther than last time seem to help.



Counting down the days
My husband and I will be escaping in a few weeks for a much needed trip to rest and reconnect without being asked a million questions by our kids.  Grateful for grandparents stepping in to make this possible, my mind is moving towards the preparations to make their time with the kids as easy as they make possible.  The biggest change is that the youngest will go the longest length of time without nursing.  My hope is that he will be done by the time of our return.  I am starting explain that 'milk chair' will be done soon.  We shall see if it sticks.

Things that bug me
I hate vermin.  Bugs, lice, mice, ants, critters that all belong outside instead of in my home or on my person.  They have the capability to immobilize me for days; paralyzed with fear.  Tears are shed and my brave husband talks me off the emotional ledge.
My freshly cleaned spice cabinet seemed like a good place for ants to move in.  Cue breakout. 
I am proud of myself for proactively getting every poison available and clearing out the space before undertaking ant warfare.  I still had to wait three days before allowing John to restock the cabinet though.

Everything is an experiment
Bowling this week was a lesson in observing and trying different variables to obtain the optimal result.  Tears for not getting more than 8 pins down at a time (seriously), resulted in granny rolls, different weighted balls, different holds, bumpers, no bumpers, and more.  Score total for three players and two games was over 400.  Happy with results? Mixed response.  But, they want to come back again next week.  We will keep experimenting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the chocolate

Let's all be well

Finding the Happy Place