Patience


One of my goals for summer was to read some books for entertainment.  I have been reading books, articles, watching webinars, all about birth and breastfeeding.  Staying current for my work is important and leaves little time for getting lost in a book.

But sometimes you need to get lost in a book.  Create time and space so the world can stand still while you explore another one.  So, I placed a book from my ever growing reading list on hold at the library and picked it up yesterday.

The book is H Is for Hawk, by Helen Macdonald.  I had seen a PBS program about her training goshawks, and it shared she had written an award winning book about her experiences.
 

Coming back to the present moment, it is nap/quiet time in the household on a Saturday afternoon.  Just what I needed, but the toddler has other ideas.  He can be half asleep on the floor downstairs, but the moment you take him to bed he perks up like a mom on her second cup of coffee.  So, I am currently in the next room listening to him howling like a wolf instead of sleeping.
....Ten minutes later.....
He is still awake. Calmer from me laying down with him a short while, but still awake.
Guess what is the title of the first chapter of my book? Patience. Sigh...

The author shares a memory of her father saying "when you wanted to see something very badly, sometimes you had to stay still, stay in the same place, remember how much you wanted to see it, and be patient."

So here I sit, writing, trying to be patient.  The sounds are becoming fewer and less frequent from the room next door.  Maybe by the end of the next chapter we both will be resting.  It is, after all, a matter of patience.
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the chocolate

Let's all be well

What day is it?