A bucket full of weeds

 
Summer time, for as long as I can remember included one constant activity. 
Gardening
 
My dad always had some tomato plants along with some various combination of potatoes, strawberries, green beans, peas, asparagus, or pumpkin.  My mom always had her flowers out in the front of the house.  The planting with dad and weeding the flowers with mom are strong memories for me.  And I am sure the same is for my parents who also grew up with extensive gardens as well.
 
John and I have continued the tradition.  I have flowers out front, and John has grown tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, apple trees, and our largest venture; strawberries.  We created a large strawberry bed four or five years ago.  There has been a few fallow years while we tended to our other garden of kids. 
 
This year is a refresher year for the strawberry bed,  We replaced plants and had a hard winter, so the number of productive plants is rather low this year.  The number of weeds on the other hand has kept me pretty busy.
 
A bucket full of weeds
Almost every evening this week, while the kids have been enjoying the evening summer light I have tasked myself with filling a bucket full of weeds from the strawberry garden.  And I have succeeded. 
The task at times has seemed pointless at moments, but I know it is making a difference.  Every weed out of the patch means more water and sunlight for the fruit bearing plants.  I have untangled ivy choking plants, removed by the root painful thistles threatening the soles of my barefoot children.  Dandelions reveal their location with their yellow blooms, guiding my trowel to their heart of roots.  And today, I finally saw the fruits of my labors. Sweet success!
Spending time in the garden also gives you time to think. 
This summer I am taking time to focus and be with my older kids.  Life is busy and pulls us many directions draining us of valuable resources.  By taking time to pause and enjoy the moments, we are eliminating the distractions.  I am more aware of possible threats to the souls of my children.  Rooting out bad habits, digging out fears and concerns, nourishing them with ideas to grow their minds and hearts.  We are tending again to our garden of children.
 
How will the gardens look at the end of the summer? I don't know.  But with each day and bucket of weeds, I hope we are left with some fruits that will last longer than a piece of strawberry pie.
 
What are your distractions growing in your garden?  Trust me, a little bit of weeding definitely adds up.
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the chocolate

Let's all be well

Finding the Happy Place