Got Milk?

Fair Oaks Farms
Today my fearless adventurers and I set off to explore the wonderful world of dairy at Fair Oaks Farms.  The kids had visited before with their grandparents, but this was my first time there.  We planned ahead packing a lunch to enjoy after the tour.  Car bingo sheets were printed and in the car along with personal water bottles.  A quick Facebook check with my mom friends confirmed my hunch to bring the backpack.  Sunscreen, sunglasses, bug spray, and Pentatonix on Pandora and we were ready to roll. 

Those who know me and my work wouldn't be surprised to hear that I was eager to see the milking barn and possibly the chance to catch a baby calf being born.  We experienced both and so much more. The kids enjoyed telling all of the employees that this was their mom's first time to the farm.
A Great Deal!
Fair Oaks had a deal between Memorial Day and Labor Day that enables you to return for free anytime in the next year if you purchase a tour this summer.  So, what was going to be a single visit has turned into our plans for next Thursday as well.
Mooville
Bounce pad, train rides, rock climbing, bungee jumping, cheese maze, horse rides; all for free with admission.  (Some waivers required). This was a great bonus we weren't expecting. We probably spent more time here than anywhere else. Seeing the look on my daughter's face when she learned she would be riding a horse was worth the whole trip.

New Babies
The light at the Birthing Barn was green when we finished our barn tour.  We hurried in to see the calf halfway out into the world.  So cool to see birth from a different perspective.  Not sure I would want people staring through glass to watch me give birth, but when you are pregnant and have a baby every year since you were 2, I guess it is normal for those gals.




Got Milk?
Let's talk numbers.  2,800 cows milking x 15 gallons per day = 42,000 gallons of milk a day. What!?!  The Fair Oaks Farms business model knows their cows very well and have a 24 hour well oiled milking machine business model.  Makes me wonder how I can streamline processes at home.  It also makes me want ice cream.  We got some of that too.

Overall a great trip that left the kids asleep within 15 minutes of leaving the parking lot.  We probably won't stay as long next trip.  We were maxing out on patience even though they begged to stay.  But, when your kids start playing in the dirt, you know it is time to go home.
Photos Galore!

I am working on my new camera skills.  Check out the rest of today's photos here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass the chocolate

Let's all be well

Finding the Happy Place